(based in nearby Eltham since 1923) was one of the first golf associations established (1766) outside Scotland.
Blackheath also gave its name to the first hockey club, established during the mid 19th century.
Blackheath is a district of south-east London, England, within the Royal Borough of Greenwich and the London Borough of Lewisham.
It is located east of the town of Lewisham, and south of the town of Greenwich.
A contemporary newspaper report said "the Kentish champions would have lost their honours by being beat at one innings if time had permitted".
It is not clear if the references to "honours" and "champions" meant that the Kent team, then managed by Edwin Stead, had claims to being the champion county.
The Cator Estate also contains innovative 1960s 'Span' houses and flats by the renowned Span Developments (architect Eric Lyons), and the Blackheath High School buildings on Vanburgh Park include the Church Army Chapel.
The pits are named after Sir John Vanbrugh, architect of Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard, who had a house nearby, adjacent to Greenwich Park, now called Vanbrugh Castle.In 1871 the management of Blackheath passed by Act of Parliament to the Metropolitan Board of Works.Unlike the commons of Hackney, Tooting Bec and Clapham, Blackheath came to the Metropolitan Board of Works at no expense, because the Earl of Dartmouth agreed to waive his manorial rights.Virtually every part of London has a local tradition about plague pits under, say, a local school or shop. The sheer number of bodies meant that the traditional churchyards became, as one contemporary put it, ‘overstuft’ very quickly.During the seventeenth century Blackheath was, along with Hounslow Heath, a common assembly point for English Armies.